BlueTail Technologies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interest in P25RX-III ?

+7
JWT
N4VKF
Scanner Nerd
N9ihx
pcman67
SteveH
FreqNOut
11 posters
Go down
BTT
BTT
Admin

Interest in P25RX-III ? Empty Interest in P25RX-III ?

Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:43 am
Would a new P25RX model spark up some interest?  I'm thinking of starting with the P25RX-II design, adding a large PSRAM and FRAM, and replacing the Bluetooth module with a more advanced WiFi module. The firmware could then be re-worked support the configuration style of the Micro / Nano receivers. The WiFi would add lots of new potential functionality including over-the-air fw updates, audio streaming over WiFi (to cell phone, browser, etc). It may require crowd-funding to get this done. If there is sufficient interest, then I will work on getting a first-article prototype going for demonstration of a working unit.

drsm0ke, Cheif, vince48, K9DAK and N4VKF like this post

FreqNOut

Interest in P25RX-III ? Empty Re: Interest in P25RX-III ?

Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:00 am
Hi Todd, Is this RX3 the next gen Eagle? or is the handheld on hold? Off topic, any further thoughts on doing a multi rx 'hub' design to connect two or three current btt units together as a multi receiver system. maybe antenna mimo. I know it was tossed around a long time ago. Just brainstorming on a Sunday Smile ps... My first gen p25rx with Wio display is still rocking and rolling!
BTT
BTT
Admin

Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:35 am
FreqNOut wrote:Hi Todd, Is this RX3 the next gen Eagle? or is the handheld on hold? Off topic, any further thoughts on doing a multi rx 'hub' design to connect two or three current btt units together as a multi receiver system. maybe antenna mimo. I know it was tossed around a long time ago. Just brainstorming on a Sunday Smile ps... My first gen p25rx with Wio display is still rocking and rolling!

Nothing is even close to set in stone at this point. What I am thinking is a hybrid best-of the P25RX / Nano. I would like to switch back to using the STM32H7xx parts now that they are once again available. Adding PSRAM and FRAM would extend the firmware capabilities to allow for the nicer features of the Nano/Mico. The Eagle handheld uses the Teensy board (same as Nano/Micro). Yes, I would say the Eagle is on hold for now. The multi-channel idea is still a possibility. I saw someone else working on something similar to that idea on crowd-supply here: https://www.crowdsupply.com/deepsea-developments/deeprad  They are using the RTL2832, so you wouldn't get the narrow-band IF filter like I'm doing with the Nano/Micro, but they do have a compact design intended to be embedded in end-user products.

Adding WiFi would allow audio streaming to a phone. The phone could do the Bluetooth ->speaker / LCD display / etc. I haven't looked into what apps are available for phones yet, but the phone could serve as a display. I know there are some nice software toolkits for quick phone-app development. That could open a lot of potential for phone display/control.  I also bought a bunch of LCD displays back before we started using the Wio. I might enterain adding those displays to an RX-III. In this case, I would work on a 3d-printable enclosure (vs the current extruded aluminum).

Also just thinking out loud here.. I don't have a firm plan.

drsm0ke, freqseeker, Cheif, Cmjones, FreqNOut, K9DAK, N4VKF and N9ihx like this post

FreqNOut

Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:04 pm
Thanks for the updated details on things going forward. An android phone app sounds interesting but anything on apple iOS will be a major headache from my past looks into apps

Best of luck in your next designs and plans!! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with down the road.

BTT likes this post

BTT
BTT
Admin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:29 am
FreqNOut wrote:Thanks for the updated details on things going forward. An android phone app sounds interesting but anything on apple iOS will be a major headache from my past looks into apps

Best of luck in your next designs and plans!! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with down the road.

Thanks. I wouldn't have even floated the idea, but was encouraged to do so by a customer interested in the P25RX-III idea. Looks like interest in yet another P25 design probably isn't there based on how dead the forum and inbox is these days.
SteveH

Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:02 am
Is there a way to build on the P25RX-2 tree version
Of the sooftware
BTT
BTT
Admin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:50 am
SteveH wrote:Is there a way to build on the P25RX-2 tree version
Of the sooftware

Do you mean start charging for updates to the software as a business model?  I don't think there is enough interest in something like that to be sustainable. In the past, HW sales helped keep the software free. I still have debt from trying to keep BTT going during Covid era. If you mean build on the P25RX-II tree version of the software for use with a model P25RX-III, then yes. I might use that as a starting point. A new model with added PSRAM and FRAM would add more functionality, so the software would change.

Cheif and vince48 like this post

SteveH

Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:21 am
That sounds good

BTT and Cheif like this post

pcman67
pcman67

Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:26 am
I have interest in a P25-RX3!     I think if the unit could retain all its current features plus build on Wi-Fi capability for streaming to a phone and a small display.    Possibly add support for other modes such as EDACS would be nice (for where I now live at least).

N9ihx

Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:08 am
Like the idea of being able to use it with the phone as a control and display. Would really be
interesting if it could do encryption like the Unication G5 does with the proper key of course.
FreqNOut

Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:21 am
Re: phone display/control...g99 had done very nice work on a android app for the P25RX in the past and in another thread on this forum site with the Nano and a Bluetooth module for display/control. Very promising concept testing/work.

Scanner Nerd

Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:51 am
I've been delighted with the sensitivity & audio quality (including simulcast) of my Nano+Wio+Enclosure.

Currently, it's predominately stationary (in garage when working) when scanning. However, occasionally, I'm mobile (in a vehicle) when scanning, with it resting on the center console, a bit hard to see & a distraction from driving (don't really want it atop the dash because of heat, UV, being conspicuous). It'd be nice to have a larger display of the data from the Nano (or other P25RX receiver) when driving. I'd read about a special case one of the P25RX receivers pairing with, & displaying this data on, a vehicle (Honda's?) screen.

Please consider the ability to pair with a "larger mobile display" as a next-level feature for a proposed P25RX device.

Thank you!

BTT
BTT
Admin

Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:04 am
Scanner Nerd wrote:I've been delighted with the sensitivity & audio quality (including simulcast) of my Nano+Wio+Enclosure.

Currently, it's predominately stationary (in garage when working) when scanning.  However, occasionally, I'm mobile (in a vehicle) when scanning, with it resting on the center console, a bit hard to see & a distraction from driving (don't really want it atop the dash because of heat, UV, being conspicuous).  It'd be nice to have a larger display of the data from the Nano (or other P25RX receiver) when driving.  I'd read about a special case one of the P25RX receivers pairing with, & displaying this data on, a vehicle (Honda's?) screen.

Please consider the ability to pair with a "larger mobile display" as a next-level feature for a proposed P25RX device.

Thank you!

I was thinking about the LCD in-car displays the other day. I think if the P25 receiver was streaming to a phone over WiFi, the phone could connect to the display via Bluetooth? I'm not sure what would have to happen in that case for it to display the talkgroups, but I'm pretty sure the audio could be bridged via the phone.

Cheif and N9ihx like this post

N4VKF
N4VKF

Interest in P25RX-III ? Empty Interest in P-25rxIII

Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:52 am
BTT wrote:Would a new P25RX model spark up some interest?  I'm thinking of starting with the P25RX-II design, adding a large PSRAM and FRAM, and replacing the Bluetooth module with a more advanced WiFi module. The firmware could then be re-worked support the configuration style of the Micro / Nano receivers. The WiFi would add lots of new potential functionality including over-the-air fw updates, audio streaming over WiFi (to cell phone, browser, etc). It may require crowd-funding to get this done. If there is sufficient interest, then I will work on getting a first-article prototype going for demonstration of a working unit.

I would love to see it. I think the current interface program needs some sprucing up.

BTT likes this post

FreqNOut

Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:03 pm
N4VKF wrote:
....the current interface program needs some sprucing up.    

Please share your ideas on what you would like as an interface design?
N4VKF
N4VKF

Interest in P25RX-III ? Empty Software Design

Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:20 pm
FreqNOut wrote:
N4VKF wrote:
....the current interface program needs some sprucing up.    

Please share your ideas on what you would like as an interface design?

1. Different Color Schemes for Agency or Talkgroup Types
2. Icons
3. Abilitiy to save different trunk system configuration files. (Or at least I have not figured that out)

p.s. still trying to figure out why certain systems won't show up in a DB search. Is "SY" one of the searchable system license types? (700mhz) trunk system
pcman67
pcman67

Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:08 am
For some entertainment value, I asked ChatGPT what the BlueTail P25RX-III unit might be like. Here is its response:

QUESTION: Show me what a BlueTail P25RX-III unit might look like.

CHATGPT RESPONSE:

I can describe it for you! The BlueTail P25RX-III is typically a compact and rugged handheld radio unit designed for professional use in various industries such as public safety, military, or commercial applications. Here's a detailed description:

Physical Appearance:

Size and Shape: It's likely to be small to medium-sized, designed for easy portability and handling in the field.

Color and Finish: The unit might have a matte black or dark gray finish with possibly some accents of blue or silver detailing, depending on the model variant.

Display and Controls:

Display: It could feature a digital display, possibly LCD or OLED, for showing frequency, channel information, and settings.
Controls: Expect a keypad with buttons for various functions like channel selection, volume control, menu navigation, and possibly programmable function keys for quick access to commonly used features.
Antenna: Typically equipped with a sturdy, flexible antenna suitable for good reception over varying distances.

Battery: Likely to have a rechargeable battery pack that provides extended operating time, especially useful during long shifts or operations in remote areas.

Build Quality: Designed to be rugged and durable, capable of withstanding harsh environments, drops, and exposure to dust and moisture.

Additional Features:

Depending on the model, it might include features such as encryption capabilities for secure communications, emergency alert functions, and compatibility with accessories like headsets or external microphones.
Logo and Branding: The unit will prominently display the BlueTail logo and model number, along with regulatory compliance marks and possibly certification badges.

While I can't physically show you the device, this description should give you a good idea of what the BlueTail P25RX-III unit might look like.

BTT, freqseeker, Cheif, Blackswan and N9ihx like this post

BTT
BTT
Admin

Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:18 pm
pcman67 wrote:For some entertainment value, I asked ChatGPT what the BlueTail P25RX-III unit might be like.     Here is its response:

QUESTION:      Show me what a BlueTail P25RX-III unit might look like.

CHATGPT RESPONSE:

I can describe it for you!    The BlueTail P25RX-III is typically a compact and rugged handheld radio unit designed for professional use in various industries such as public safety, military, or commercial applications. Here's a detailed description:

I like it.  I agree with the flat black appearance. I've figured out how to print with Nylon-Carbon-Fiber material over the past few months. Great material (flat black, high-temp, dimensional stability, chemical resistant). I think it is possibly describing the Eagle handheld. Maybe we should ditch the P25RX-III name, call it the Eagle and design around an STM32H7 and touch-screen lcd.

pcman67, freqseeker, Cheif and N9ihx like this post

N9ihx

Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:17 am
I think the handheld unit with everything built in would be the way to go. The P25RX and the Nano are great units they do what they do very well but really are more for the technically Inclined. I think a unit like this with good documentation and a simpler operating system would be a better seller. The problem with scanners and commercial radios today is they can be tricky to program. People don’t want to read and learn about how stuff works anymore they just want it to work. I program several radios and scanners each week for people who don’t want to or can’t program the units
themselves. The simpler to use the better. They also want everything to come with the device accessory wise. Antennas, batteries, and chargers etc.

Cheif likes this post

JWT
JWT

Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:29 pm
Yes, VERY INTERESTED!!

BTT likes this post

AutoDoze

Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:33 pm
I think I'd be interested, what kind of price point?

BTT
BTT
Admin

Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:21 pm
AutoDoze wrote:I think I'd be interested, what kind of price point?
Don't know the answer to that question yet.

Question for those interested in the hand-held design. Assuming an LCD display resolution of 320x240, would you rather have a narrower width for the handheld? I am referring to the lcd being oriented such that the display is taller than it is wide?  Or the other way around? Note that this will affect the dimensions of the entire design. I'm leaning toward a narrower width and taller design. This may also be a better idea for RF performance. Still, would like to hear thoughts on this.
Cheif

Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:05 pm
What would be the rough dimensions for both?
FreqNOut

Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:16 pm
Maybe Screen narrow width /longer height like a smart phone screen... But be able to auto rotate when turning the handheld.
SteveH

Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:26 pm
Touch Screen????
You can dream at least Smile
freqseeker

Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:11 pm
I vote narrow width with SMA on top. This is friendlier for temporary mobile mounting and portability. I run my P25RXll from my cell phone holder when mobile. Narrow width would work in a cup holder as well with screen oriented correctly.

Cheif likes this post

BTT
BTT
Admin

Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:44 pm
Cheif wrote:What would be the rough dimensions for both?
I think it is roughly the same as the Wio terminal display.    ~ 1.75 x 1.4 "   (2.25" diagonal).

FreqNOut wrote:Maybe Screen narrow width /longer height like a smart phone screen... But be able to auto rotate when turning the handheld.
I may add an accelerometer to facilitate this idea if I find a cheap one.

SteveH wrote:Touch Screen????
You can dream at least Smile
No need to dream. It is a touch-screen. I will also be adding a 5-way switch like the Nano/Micro.

freqseeker wrote:I vote narrow width with SMA on top. This is friendlier for temporary mobile mounting and portability. I run my P25RXll from my cell phone holder when mobile. Narrow width would work in a cup holder as well with screen oriented correctly.

Thank you all for your thoughts!

Cheif likes this post

Cheif

Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:26 am
Narrow and tall how about bluetooth.

BTT and N9ihx like this post

FreqNOut

Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:54 am
Btt said '" I would like to switch back to using the STM32H7xx parts now that they are once again available."

I know this design is still on the drawing board... Would the display require a second mcu or would the single core STM32H7 chip handle everything except the RF ?
BTT
BTT
Admin

Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:44 am
Cheif wrote:Narrow and tall  how about bluetooth.
There will be an ESP32 module, but was planning on using it for WiFi for streaming to a phone via browser (let phone do the Bluetooth). Would be possible to flash it for Bluetooth. Not sure about the details yet.

FreqNOut wrote:Btt said '" I would like to switch back to using the STM32H7xx parts now that they are once again available."

I know this design is still on the drawing board... Would the display require a second mcu or would the single core STM32H7 chip handle everything except the RF ?
Planning on an STM32F4 part for the display. Would like to support an MSC USB mode for firmware update like the Wio. Would also like the display MCU to re-use as much of the existing Wio code as possible. Will shoot for "arduino environment" support on the display MCU.

freqseeker, Cheif, FreqNOut, Blackswan and N9ihx like this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum