BlueTail Technologies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MrZumma
MrZumma

Zone Alias setting config Empty Zone Alias setting config

Wed May 03, 2023 10:36 am
I know many of the settings are saved to the device itself or exported as a backup, but how do you backup the zone names/alias's given to the 12 zone buttons? I am curious as I will be using the P25RX-II with multiple computers and those labels did not come over to the second computer.

Thanks!
Marty
BTT
BTT
Admin

Zone Alias setting config Empty Re: Zone Alias setting config

Thu May 04, 2023 12:59 am
[quote="MrZumma"]I know many of the settings are saved to the device itself or exported as a backup, but how do you backup the zone names/alias's given to the 12 zone buttons?  I am curious as I will be using the P25RX-II with multiple computers and those labels did not come over to the second computer.

Thanks!
Marty[/quote]

The Java application stores this information differently depending on the OS.

On Linux / Unix systems, this is an example of where the "Preferences" will be stored. The 0xEBExx number is the MAC ID of the receiver.
/user/name/.java/.userPrefs/0xEBEA99BF1AE7/prefs.xml

On Windows, it is stored in the "registry" with this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs
BTT
BTT
Admin

Thu May 04, 2023 8:14 am
This might help with backup/restoring the config on Windows, but I haven't tried this. Be careful when messing with the Windows Registry.
-----------------------

Backing up a particular Specific registry key

a.    On the left-hand side of the screen, navigate to the registry key you wish to back up
b.    Right-click the registry key and select Export
c.    When the Export Registry File window opens, enter a name for the file and click Save

Section II: How to restore a registry backup

1.    Browse to the location where the backup was saved, then double-click the file
2.    When prompted to confirm that you want to add the information, click Yes
3.    When the confirmation window appears, click OK
MrZumma
MrZumma

Thu May 04, 2023 2:15 pm
Thanks Todd. Looks like Java may save those in a different location on a Mac. It would be nice to save these setting to the device so they stick regardless of what computer you plug it into, but I know there are far more important things to complete.

Thanks again for a great device! It works very well on the system I am monitoring.

BTT likes this post

BTT
BTT
Admin

Thu May 04, 2023 2:21 pm
MrZumma wrote:Thanks Todd.  Looks like Java may save those in a different location on a Mac.  It would be nice to save these setting to the device so they stick regardless of what computer you plug it into, but I know there are far more important things to complete.

Thanks again for a great device!  It works very well on the system I am monitoring.

On a MAC, I believe it would be the same as Unix/Linux.  Check in your user directory under ".java/.userPrefs/0x0123456789AB/prefs.xml"  Note the '.' character before the beginning of the location. The 0x0123456689AB part is the MAC ID of the receiver. You can see this value in the BTCFG-II software in the upper right corner.

Glad to hear the receiver is working well for you!

Last edited by BTT on Thu May 04, 2023 10:09 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : trying to get the quote function to display properly)
MrZumma
MrZumma

Thu May 04, 2023 5:00 pm
Thanks Todd. The .java folder doesn't exist under my user name.
BTT
BTT
Admin

Thu May 04, 2023 10:16 pm
MrZumma wrote:Thanks Todd.  The .java folder doesn't exist under my user name.

Take a look at this link. This may help you locate the preferences on Mac OSX.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/675864/where-are-java-preferences-stored-on-mac-os-x
MrZumma
MrZumma

Sat May 06, 2023 9:18 am
The 'Library' folder in /Users// is a hidden folder.  Did not know that..  Regardless, it is in /Users/<USERNAME>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.java.util.prefs.plist.  There are other preferences from other Java apps saved in this file, so editing it may break other things.  Backing up this file and copying it to another Mac probably won't work either.

Like I mentioned earlier, I know it is minor, but making a way to backup/restore Zone Alias names would be helpful.

Marty

BTT likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum